I love avocado toast so much, you guys. And I just realized I’ve never done an avocado toast food post, which is crazy because I have two amazing recipes for avocado spread that I’ve never shared. So today I”m doing just that.
Have you guys seen the newest trend? People are making avocado toast on slabs of sweet potato and honestly, it’s an amazing idea. It’s perfect for all of the gluten-free people out there and sweet potatoes are so good so why not make it like toast?! And since we have a summer holiday coming up and holidays mean parties and parties mean finger foods, I thought I’d twist the trend and do party-perfect bites of sweet potato avocado toast! And then to make it even better – I’m showing you a savory version and a sweet version. Both are equally amazing and so so easy. You’re going to want to eat both for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday!
The vehicle for the avocado spread in this tasty snack is sweet potato. It’s simple, easy to grab, and is just as good as a piece of bread. We’re making little chips in this case so you want to make sure to slice them thin and you don’t want them to be too big. I’m going to say that a mandoline is the best tool to get these thin slices but if you don’t have one, a knife is just as good. Just be careful!
Now onto the most important part of this dish – avocado. Since we’re putting these on little chips, I sliced small chunks so it’d be easier to plop onto the chips. See above if you don’t know what I’m talking about.
The first is a savory spread. This is the way I’ve eaten it at most restaurants with hints of garlic, paprika, lemon. It’s so freaking good.
The second is a sweet spread. I actually started eating it this way before avocado toast was even trendy. My mom always ate it this way and it’s the perfect combination of flavors. I love the sweet honey on the creamy avocado and the toasted sesame seeds add nice texture and flavor. If you’ve never tried it this way, you need to try it. It’s phenomenal and so simple!
These spreads are perfect on bread too as a snack or for breakfast! And they’re insanely addicting – seriously, try them and you’ll see.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Salt, black pepper
- Lemon zest, to garnish
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to garnish
- Black sesame seeds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a mandoline or knife, thinly slice sweet potato. In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato slices with olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Lay out sweet potato slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping slices over after 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow chips to cool and crisp up. If chips are not as crisp as desired after 20 minutes, bake for 3-5 more minutes.
- While chips are cooling, make avocado spreads. Dice avocado into small chunks and place avocados in separate bowls.
- In the first (savory) bowl, add garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Lightly toss until thoroughly mixed together. Taste and add more spices if needed. Using a spoon, top each sweet potato chip with the savory avocado mixture.
- The second (sweet) bowl will just be avocado. Top each sweet potato chip with the avocado then drizzle honey on top and finish with toasted black sesame seeds.
- Place both versions of avocado toast chips on a serving board and enjoy!